Craft beer lovers, the day you’ve been dreaming of — even if you didn’t realize it — has arrived! Just in time for the Labor Day weekend, independent craft brewer BrewDog has celebrated the opening of the world’s first craft beer hotel, the DogHouse.
Located at the site of its U.S. brewery in Columbus, OH, the DogHouse is the world’s first hotel to offer guests a night’s stay inside a brewery. The 32-room DogHouse features beer taps in each room along with a built-in shower beer fridge, and guests can even watch the brewers at work from rooms that overlook the state-of-the-art brewing facility.
In addition to the hotel, BrewDog USA also unveiled its on-site, interactive beer museum. The 6,000-square-foot space features a journey through the brewing process, a deep dive into the history of craft beer, and a hands-on experience of “the fundamental four” ingredients that contribute to the creation of a craft beer.
The Craft Beer Crowd
BrewDog first announced plans for the DogHouse in March 2017, with a crowdfunding campaign aimed at raising $75,000 over 30 days for its construction. The campaign was a huge success, raising $160,000 in under a week from over 1,000 backers; an impressive $2,083 per hour. As a result of the unprecedented demand, BrewDog introduced a new goal of $200,000, and went on to secure over $300,000 for the hotel, four times the original goal. The campaign’s backers earned first access to room reservations, and more than 500 nights have already been pre-booked by the craft beer community. Bookings are now open to the public.
“For many beer fans, the idea of a beer hotel was just a pipe-dream,” said BrewDog co-founder James Watt. “A beer utopia that was never thought possible. Until now. Thanks to the backing of our global community of beer evangelists, we’ve been hard at work to make that dream a reality.
“From welcome pints of Punk IPA and malt massages to brewery views and shower beers, this will be the world’s first and only fully-immersive craft beer experience from check in to check out,” Watt continued. “The DogHouse is our gift to the passionate and dedicated army of beer fans that have supported us every step of the way. We are nothing without our community and this hotel celebrates that.”
The DogHouse’s craft beer-based features begin at the door:
- The front desk has been replaced with a lobby bartender who checks in guests while they enjoy a complimentary beer.
- The DogHouse’s 32 guest rooms include a 645-square-foot Brewmaster suite and a 460-square-foot Punk suite. Located next to the main lobby, four of the rooms are dog-friendly with easy access to the hotel’s dog park.
- Each room features a fully stocked beer fridge boasting BrewDog’s headliner craft beers, seasonal brews, and guest favorites hand-picked from co-founders James Watt and Martin Dickie, plus an en-suite bathroom featuring a built-in shower beer fridge.
- The 32 rooms also boast beer taps via a personal keg bar that will be activated as soon as guests purchase a growler of their favorite BrewDog brew at any time during their stay.
- The DogHouse offers common areas for guests to relax, including the hotel media room where beer fans can watch the Scottish brewer’s TV show, Brew Dogs, and enjoy a game of ping (or beer) pong, or savor the sites of the brewery from the extensive front patio.
- In addition to the hotel, BrewDog is expanding its brewery to include an all-new, state-of-the-art sour beer facility scheduled to open in late 2018. The brewery expansion will allow guests to wake up to a view of BrewDog’s sour beer foeders and the smell of freshly mashed malt.
“The DogHouse is truly a hotel like no other,” said BrewDog USA CEO Tanisha Robinson. “With the help of our passionate community, we have created a must-visit destination for craft beer fans around the world.
“We never shy away from ambitious tasks at BrewDog and the creation of the DogHouse is no exception,” Robinson added. “We have pushed the boundaries of what modern hospitality can be, and in doing so, have created an unrivaled beery experience. We hope this inspires brewers and hoteliers to continue innovating and expanding the possibilities of what can be done with beer.”
Construction is currently underway for BrewDog’s second DogHouse hotel at the brewery’s headquarters in Ellon, Scotland. Scheduled to welcome guests in 2019, the hotel will be built on a 3.25-acre site adjacent to BrewDog’s current 1 million hl brewery. In addition to the hotel construction, the site will include the expansion of BrewDog’s brewery to include a 300 hl brewhouse and a canning and packaging hall.