Carlow University invites applicants for the position of Director of Capital Planning. The Director of Capital Planning will lead the development and implementation of rigorous capital projects including their planning, execution, processes and integrated schedule components. The Director will work extensively with external general contractors, architects, and developers to accomplish key Master Plan and Deferred Maintenance projects critical to the Strategic Initiative of Creating Transformational Environments.
• Responsible for project leadership in the development and documentation of project execution plans of all major capital renovation and expansion projects. This includes new facilities, major repairs of existing buildings, infrastructure, and open spaces. Build and implement a repeatable model to schedule, plan, track and execute all key areas of scope and ensure the planning process captures the complete intent of all aspects of the approved scope. This model will include the delivery plan for site prep, building, engineering, facilities and services, infrastructure, process equipment, IT, HR and Operational Readiness.
- Responsible for capital solution planning by defining security requirements, various architecture project elements, and overall project risk management, particularly in the area of project costing and preliminary budget estimates. This will involve expertise working with architects and engineers, permitting agencies, contractors, inspectors, and others to assure that the authorized design and construction projects are accomplished in accordance with the University’s approved guidelines, master plans, policies, and procedures. This position will have supervisory responsibilities for external vendors and contractors.
- Lead and communicate to the broader university and key constituents during the formulation, development and documentation of program specific goals and the approaches by which the university will monitor its progress in addressing specific program needs. This includes presentations and briefings at the Board of Trustees Facility and Technology Committee meetings.
- On an annual basis, the Director will evaluate and recommend to the VP/CFO all capital space planning needs/changes, prioritization of upcoming fiscal year initiatives, development of sound budget resource needs, and provide monthly written and analytical updates to the Vice President on the Institutional Master Plan.
- Work collaboratively with the Director for Facilities on all areas that intersect between the two organizations. This includes project users and team meetings. The position will also focus on procurement cost containment through a strong working relationship with the Procurement team. This includes adhering to bid policies, inclusion and increasing the university’s disadvantaged spend and continuum spend.
- Responsible for the 5 Year Capital Planning Budget to include fiscal year projects, cost estimates, scheduling, monthly project status reports, an annual report.
We seek an innovative leader with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Civil or Mechanical Engineering, Construction or equivalent technical degree; Master’s Degree in Architecture, PE License preferred
- Minimum of 5-years at a senior level capital planning position
- Proven leadership in scheduling and organizing projects, ability to prioritize effectively to meet deadlines, flexibility to adapt quickly to changing requirements
- Knowledge in strategic capital planning, systems and asset life cycle, and investment control
- Critical and creative thinker, demonstrate excellent judgment, display excellent interpersonal and communication skills, have a high standard of integrity, and be motivated to incorporate best practices
- Strong written/verbal communication skills, including public speaking
- Negotiating Skills
- Experience that demonstrates knowledge of campus planning for institution(s) of higher education
- Demonstrated knowledge of physical facilities and financial intricacies of a complex organization
- License/registration to practice in professional field of expertise, with ability to secure license/registration as available in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania preferred
Apply online at: www.carlow.edu
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward the University’s resources, avoid conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and professional obligations.
Carlow University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer by choice. We value diversity and we are committed to the recruitment of underrepresented groups.