Boston City Hall, the Capital Wheel, U.S. Bank Tower, and Niagara Falls are among the more 33 iconic buildings and landmarks across the United States that will turn orange in support of Make Music Day tomorrow, June 21. This annual global celebration of music features more than 5,000 free outdoor concerts, music lessons, jam sessions and other music-making events in over 85 U.S. cities. In addition to citywide celebrations, Make Music Day will also include smaller festivities in other communities nationwide.
Launched in France in 1982 as the Fête de la Musique, Make Music Day is presented in the U.S. by the NAMM Foundation and coordinated by the nonprofit Make Music Alliance. Supported in part by the National Association of Music Merchants, the NAMM Foundation works to advance active participation in music making by supporting scientific research, philanthropic giving, and public service programs.
Observed by millions of people in more than 1,000 cities in 120 countries, the daylong musical free-for-all on the summer solstice brings musicians of all ages, backgrounds, and skill levels together to make, enjoy, perform, teach and learn music. All lightings are taking place today, June 20, in participating Make Music Day cities.
U.S. cities hosting major Make Music Day celebrations include New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Buffalo, Hartford, Madison (WI), Miami, Nashville, Phoenix, Salem (OR) and San Jose. U.S. buildings and landmarks shining orange — a color evoking the sun and the first day of summer – include:
- Niagara Falls, the Peace Bridge, Electric Tower and the Innovation Center at the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus in Buffalo, NY
- Rundel Memorial Library in Rochester, NY
- Barclay Damon Tower in Syracuse, NY
- Bennington Battle Monument in Bennington, VT
- Boston City Hall in Boston, MA
- Kenneth F. Burns Memorial Bridge in Worcester, MA
- Portland City Hall in Portland, ME
- Stilts Building in Hartford, CT
- One Liberty, Two Liberty, Cira Centre, Cira Centre South Garage and FMC Tower in Philadelphia, PA
- The Capital Wheel at National Harbor in suburban Washington, D.C.
- The Parthenon in Nashville, TN
- Liberty Tower, The Block and The Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga
- Cleveland City Hall in Cleveland, OH
- Milwaukee County Historical Society and The Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee, WI
- Overture Center for the Arts in Madison, WI
- I-35W in Minneapolis, MN
- Main Street Square in Rapid City, SD
- Tucson City Hall in Tucson, AZ
- Eighth & Main and US Bank Building in Boise, ID
- US Bank Tower in Los Angeles, CA
- Long Beach Convention & Entertainment Center in Long Beach, CA
- The Fountain at Hillcrest Park in Fullerton, CA
- Union Street Railroad Bridge in Salem, OR
Make Music Day celebrates and promotes the natural music maker every person, regardless of ability. Reimagining their cities and towns as stages, every kind of musician — young and old, amateur and professional, of every musical persuasion — pours onto streets, parks, plazas, porches, rooftops, gardens and other public spaces to celebrate, create and share their music with friends, neighbors, and strangers.
Participating U.S. Make Music Cities in 2019
Allen (TX) * Altoona (PA) * Anaheim (CA) * Appleton (WI) * Bethlehem (NH) * Boise (ID) * Boston (MA) * Bridgeport (CT) * Buena Park (CA) * Buffalo (NY) * Cedar Rapids (IA) * Chattanooga (TN) * Chicago (IL) * Cincinnati (OH) * Cleveland (OH) * Columbia (SC) * Danbury (CT) * Davis (CA) * Denton (TX) * Detroit (MI) * Durham (NC) * East Granby (CT) * Fairfield (CT) * Federal Way (WA) * Fullerton (CA) * Greenwich (CT) * Hartford (CT) * Hastings (MN) * Hebron (CT) * Iowa City (IA) * Issaquah (WA) * Ithaca (NY) * Kansas City (MO) * Land O’ Lakes (WI) * Liberty (MO) * Long Beach (CA) * Los Angeles (CA) * Macon (GA) * Madison (WI) * Miami(FL) * Milwaukee (WI) * Mentor (OH) * Middletown (CT) * Milford (CT) * Minneapolis-St. Paul (MN) * Montclair (NJ) * Nashville (TN) * New Haven (CT) * New York (NY) * Nicholasville (KY) * Northwest CT (Torrington) * Norwalk (CT) * Ossining (NY) * Philadelphia(PA) * Phoenix (AZ) * Pittsburgh (PA) * Platteville (WI) * Portland (ME) * Provo (UT) * Rapid City | Black Hills (SD) * Reedsburg (WI) * Ridgefield (CT) * Rochester (NY) * Roselle Park (NJ) * St. Louis (MO) * Salem (OR) * San Diego (CA) * San Jose (CA) * Seattle (WA) * Southeastern CT (New London) * Springfield (MO) * Stamford (CT) * Stratford (CT) * Suwanee (GA) * Syracuse (NY) * Tucson (AZ) * Upper Perkiomen Valley (PA) * Vermont (statewide) * Washington (DC) * Waterbury (CT) * Wheaton (IL) * Wichita (KS) * Williamsport (PA) * Woodbury (CT) * Worcester (MA). Additionally, Ontario, CA (Toronto) is participating.