The Director of Facilities Management and Planning is responsible for ensuring College facilities support operational, administrative, and instructional requirements of the College effectively and efficiently. The Director of Facilities Management and Planning provides recommendations for strategic planning, general management, and professional direction for facilities-related functions for all campus locations, including operations and maintenance, capital planning, design, and construction, as well as for future sites and satellite locations.
The Director of Facilities Management and Planning is charged with articulating a vision for facilities management, developing a plan for that vision (while ensuring that vision aligns with the College’s Strategic Plan), and implementing the plan. The Director provides leadership, knowledge, and expertise to sustain and support the building environment and to deliver student-focused services and solutions.
Duties of the Director of Facilities Management and Planning include:
- Managing all matters related to the College’s physical plant and off-campus buildings such as facility assessments, planning, capital project development, and execution;
- Actively participating in the strategic and tactical planning processes to allocate the resources necessary to meet the College’s current and future facilities plans;
- Providing management direction for physical plant and housekeeping on matters pertaining to facility planning, energy management, safety requirements, space utilization, equipment, and facilities;
- Managing grounds maintenance, parking lots and walkway maintenance, and campus beautification;
- Monitoring the work of the unit to ensure appropriate direction and outcomes.
- Developing strategies and recommendations to fund operations, preventive maintenance, deferred maintenance, renewals, and deficiencies;
- Working with various outside stakeholders, such as the Maryland Department of General Services (DGS) to implement state guidelines and develop solutions for large-scale
- Serving as Project Director for various facilities-related projects, assuring compliance and timely completion of tasks, and overseeing all aspects of contractor performance including schedule and budget adherence;
- Collecting, analyzing, and providing budgetary data and budgetary requests for various projects, including renovations, grounds, remodeling, or construction projects;
- Archiving documentation of work performed so that campus drawings and facilities blueprints are current; and
- Establishing guidelines and performance expectations for staff members, evaluating employee performance, and administering discipline when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Facility Management, Architecture, Building Construction, Construction Management, Engineering, Engineering Technology), and
Certification as a Facilities Manager (CFM).
- Ten years of progressively responsible, supervisory experience in the management of staff, capital projects, and contract administration.
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and evidence of strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
The final candidate(s) are subject to a pre-employment background check.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Facilities Management, or related field.
- Professional Engineers’ License.
- Project Management (PMP) Certification.
- Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) Certification.
- Experience in facilities operations and maintenance at a public college, institution or multi-campus site.
- Experience managing capital projects under the oversight of the Maryland Department of General Services (DGS)