FRIDAY FUNNY: Rosie The Robot Meets Her Match!
Most of the time, futuristic projections don’t come anywhere close to reality. Written in 1948, George Orwell’s fictional novel, Nineteen Eighty-Four, is probably one of the most obvious inaccurate predictions (at least some might argue) of a dystopian society subject to mind control and ruled by a dictatorship. Great literature? Yes. But accurate? Not so much. Also, not terribly funny.
But in the realm of funny (or at least less ominous) and a bit more visionary comes this little tidbit reminiscent of the 1960s hit cartoon, The Jetsons. Anyone familiar with this prime-time animated Hanna-Barbera sitcom will remember Rosie, a humanoid robotic maid and housekeeper. Charged with keeping the Jetson household neat and tidy, the fictional Rosie has essentially met her modern day match: Dr. R.E. (“robotic environmentalist”) Cycler.
Designed by Florida Robotics (the same folks who bring you those mobile robots you see at trade shows and at shopping malls), Dr. R.E. Cycler is more than an entertainer. He’s an educator AND a machine with a true purpose: to explain the ins and outs of recycling. Morgan Clendanial of Fast Company writes:
The good doctor was first built in May 2011, in response to a request from Waste Management for “something new and different,” says Fay Martin, the owner of Florida Robotics. New and different they certainly got. Nowadays, the solar-powered robot is deployed to get schoolchildren excited about recycling. The robot crushes [cans] to an inch thick and stores them in its belly, where they are later taken away for recycling.
The idea is to make recycling fun and more transparent for young people, to instill in them an ethic of recycling later in life. Florida Robotics is up for a Refresh Project grant [sponsored by Pepsi] to build a better robot that will crush plastic bottles as well.
Watch Dr. R.E. Cycler in action here:
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ