QUESTION OF THE WEEK: Implementing A “No Personal Electronic Device” Workplace
I work for an organization that has recently adopted a policy that prohibits the use of personal electronic devices (smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc.) inside the facility. Increased security is at the core of the new policy, with the primary goal of preventing the recording and transmission of information.
Lockers outside the facility have been installed so employees can safely deposit their devices before entering the building, but there are inevitably problems with lost keys, devices left on (and ringing while stowed), and visitors who are reluctant to surrender their devices. Security guards are currently being tapped to manage this responsibility, which ultimately falls under both the facilities and security departments.
Does anyone have advice regarding the best strategy for this situation? We anticipate greater pushback as younger people (who are perpetually tethered to their devices) enter the workforce and will certainly consider policy evolution, but for now, we are doing our best to restrict all devices. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Share your feedback and suggestions in the LEAVE A COMMENT section below.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
Topic Tags: Blog-Jan-2013