When almost one quarter of an industry’s workforce is planning to retire in five years or less, it creates an opportunity for new workers to enter the market. When 85% of employers in those industries report that it is difficult to very difficult to find new hires with the right skill set to perform those jobs, it creates a potential workforce disaster. Those are two of the findings reported in a study just published in The Fluke 2012 Workforce Trends Study.
“We are going to be looking at a lot of people exiting the workforce,” said Randall Ambuehl, training director for Northwest Washington Electrical Industry Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee (JATC). “At the same time, we’re going to have to pull in large numbers of people to take their place. What we thought was going to be a training spike five years ago is going to be deeper . . . to meet those needs.”
The workforce study, conducted in July 2012, surveyed the views of more than 1,600 people to determine current workforce trends related to specific skills. Participants were asked for their views as to what job opportunities exist in the current market, what training and experience is needed to succeed in those jobs, and how market entrants received that training.
The study also includes excerpts from interviews conducted with educators and union trainers on job market and training issues, and taps third party resources, like the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Occupational Outlook Handbook 2012-2013, to provide trending data.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention