By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the May 2008 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Isthere a step by step guide available that will assist us in theformulation of a capital equipment replacement program? Our facilityhas entered its fifth decade of operation, and none of the originalequipment has been modernized; this includes boilers, chillers,compressors, and the list goes on and on.
Director Of Facilities
University Of The Pacific
School Of Dentistry
San Francisco, CA
A Sinceyour equipment is still functioning, it appears that you will need toprioritize your plant equipment replacement program. You will need tolist all of your equipment and then develop a plan based on severalcriteria:
- Serviceable or obsolete: Can it be repaired within a reasonable amount of time?
- Cost savings: What equipment would provide savings if replaced? Theannual savings can be used to justify the replacement/upgrade.
- “Criticality”: What equipment will cause the most down time to the school if it will not operate?
- Creative financial assistance: Are you aware of any grants, loans, orsubsidies which might be available? Your local utilities may have someenergy incentives which could help pay for the upgrades.
Checkout the tools and resources library available from the U.S.Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) ENERGY STAR Web site.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management