By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the May 2008 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Isthere a step by step guide available that will assist us in theformulation of a capital equipment replacement program? Our facilityhas entered its fifth decade of operation, and none of the originalequipment has been modernized; this includes boilers, chillers,compressors, and the list goes on and on.
Director Of Facilities
University Of The Pacific
School Of Dentistry
San Francisco, CA
A Sinceyour equipment is still functioning, it appears that you will need toprioritize your plant equipment replacement program. You will need tolist all of your equipment and then develop a plan based on severalcriteria:
- Serviceable or obsolete: Can it be repaired within a reasonable amount of time?
- Cost savings: What equipment would provide savings if replaced? Theannual savings can be used to justify the replacement/upgrade.
- “Criticality”: What equipment will cause the most down time to the school if it will not operate?
- Creative financial assistance: Are you aware of any grants, loans, orsubsidies which might be available? Your local utilities may have someenergy incentives which could help pay for the upgrades.
Checkout the tools and resources library available from the U.S.Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) ENERGY STAR Web site.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention