By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the May 2008 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Isthere a step by step guide available that will assist us in theformulation of a capital equipment replacement program? Our facilityhas entered its fifth decade of operation, and none of the originalequipment has been modernized; this includes boilers, chillers,compressors, and the list goes on and on.
Director Of Facilities
University Of The Pacific
School Of Dentistry
San Francisco, CA
A Sinceyour equipment is still functioning, it appears that you will need toprioritize your plant equipment replacement program. You will need tolist all of your equipment and then develop a plan based on severalcriteria:
- Serviceable or obsolete: Can it be repaired within a reasonable amount of time?
- Cost savings: What equipment would provide savings if replaced? Theannual savings can be used to justify the replacement/upgrade.
- “Criticality”: What equipment will cause the most down time to the school if it will not operate?
- Creative financial assistance: Are you aware of any grants, loans, orsubsidies which might be available? Your local utilities may have someenergy incentives which could help pay for the upgrades.
Checkout the tools and resources library available from the U.S.Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) ENERGY STAR Web site.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- Site Security: Background Checks
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- 4 Keys To Improve Energy Efficiency Projects
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs