The first infrastructure project to move forward under the new federal economic stimulus package was announced earlier this week on 2/24/09. The project, a replacement bridge in Miller County near Tuscumbia, MO, was approved for construction as a top priority for the State of Missouri at a cost of $8.5 million, which will be funded by the stimulus plan. Because of the desire for rapid and economical construction, steel was selected for the bridge’s main span.
“The Show Me State again showed the nation we are leaders in transportation by having the first economic recovery act project in the country under construction,” said Missouri Department of Transportation director Pete Rahn. “We promised we would be ready to go to make the best use of every dollar we receive through the economic recovery act to create jobs and make our highways safer. We delivered on that promise and then some.”
The new 1,000-ft long, 28-foot-wide steel bridge will replace the existing 75-year-old Osage River Bridge, which is the same length and just 20 foot wide. The bridge crosses a Missouri River tributary near the middle of the state, where the average daily traffic is more than 1,000 cars per day. However, it has been off-limits to large trucks since 2007 because of its poor structural condition.
The new bridge, built by general contractor APAC of Kansas City, will use 395 tons of structural steel for the bridge’s 570 foot main span and will be positioned just upstream from the existing bridge.
“We’re pleased to have a project so close to home–only about 35 miles from our fabricator shop–close enough for our employees to be able to see and use,” said Gary Wisch, DeLong’s vice president of engineering. “We’re also proud to be the steel fabricator for the first project built with funds made available by the federal stimulus bill.”
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?