By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the September 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I am fairly new in my position, and one of my responsibilities is to speak for the need of more manpower before the personnel committee. That committee is dominated by budget folks who demand justification with cold numbers. It is not enough to point out that we are adding 150,000 square feet of new building to our inventory this year, as three new building projects are completed and two major parks are added. They look for confirmation that we are not overstaffed presently. The examples of personnel to square feet, or managed acres, or vehicles, or inspections per day are all over the place.
Do you use or know of a formula that equates number of maintenance personnel with square foot under roof? Can you point me in the right direction of recognized guidelines for my use? I am also looking for similar information on number of: ground maintenance personnel per landscaped acre, mechanics per vehicles in a fleet, and number of inspections per day for building, electric, plumbing.
Director of General Services
Carroll County Government
A Your best bet on staffing would come from the benchmarks available from the International Facility Management Association (IFMA). Benchmarks V may help you in your budget quandary.
Here are some of the items covered in Section 3 of the survey:
- Janitorial Costs
- Janitorial Staffing
- Maintenance Costs
- Roads and Grounds Costs
- Facility Operating Current Replacement Value (CRV) Index
- Utility Costs
- Utility Consumption
If you visit the Web site for Fleet Research Online, you may be able to find additional benchmarks on fleet costs and staffing requirements.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management