By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the May 2014 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I am looking for feedback on WiFi enabled thermostats. Do you have experience or insights on this technology that you would be willing to share?
A I have had significant benefits using a product manufactured by EnTouch Controls. It is well designed for mid-size commercial applications and meets our needs.
We are converting from 200 standalone thermostats and are doing the work in-house. Six months into it, we have 100 done so far. These have been easy to install and capable of loading all stats into one web portal. Our application is using the campus WiFi, and the IT department has been okay with it so far. Some areas do not have sufficient WiFi services so we will use the cellular version in those areas until IT can meet the need. We are seeing significant savings, and nothing stands in the way to finish.
There are many WiFi stats that have come on the market in recent years with a varying degree of cost and capabilities. The question comes down to what you are looking to accomplish, and the user interface can be key.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Cyber Security In Real Estate