By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the May 2014 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I am looking for feedback on WiFi enabled thermostats. Do you have experience or insights on this technology that you would be willing to share?
A I have had significant benefits using a product manufactured by EnTouch Controls. It is well designed for mid-size commercial applications and meets our needs.
We are converting from 200 standalone thermostats and are doing the work in-house. Six months into it, we have 100 done so far. These have been easy to install and capable of loading all stats into one web portal. Our application is using the campus WiFi, and the IT department has been okay with it so far. Some areas do not have sufficient WiFi services so we will use the cellular version in those areas until IT can meet the need. We are seeing significant savings, and nothing stands in the way to finish.
There are many WiFi stats that have come on the market in recent years with a varying degree of cost and capabilities. The question comes down to what you are looking to accomplish, and the user interface can be key.
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event