By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the May 2014 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I am looking for feedback on WiFi enabled thermostats. Do you have experience or insights on this technology that you would be willing to share?
A I have had significant benefits using a product manufactured by EnTouch Controls. It is well designed for mid-size commercial applications and meets our needs.
We are converting from 200 standalone thermostats and are doing the work in-house. Six months into it, we have 100 done so far. These have been easy to install and capable of loading all stats into one web portal. Our application is using the campus WiFi, and the IT department has been okay with it so far. Some areas do not have sufficient WiFi services so we will use the cellular version in those areas until IT can meet the need. We are seeing significant savings, and nothing stands in the way to finish.
There are many WiFi stats that have come on the market in recent years with a varying degree of cost and capabilities. The question comes down to what you are looking to accomplish, and the user interface can be key.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation