By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the February 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What resources are there for the creation of a facilities maintenance manual, including consultants who can do this for us?
Pacific Palisades, CA
A The facility you have will make a difference in the type and detail level of a maintenance manual. Generally, an HVAC or EMP engineering firm can help with this task.
If you opt to undertake this project on your own, make sure you check with the manufacturers of the equipment you have in your facility. Each piece of equipment will have recommended maintenance and service requirements. These requirements should help you create a baseline of the minimum maintenance schedule recommended for each major component.
Additional resources include:
- 15 O&M Best Practices (pdf)
- Guidelines for Obtaining Best Practice Contracts for Commercial Buildings Operation and Maintenance Service Contracts (pdf)
- Operations & Maintenance Best Practices Guide
These tools should provide assistance in the creation, organization, and relevant material required for your manual.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management