By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the February 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What resources are there for the creation of a facilities maintenance manual, including consultants who can do this for us?
Pacific Palisades, CA
A The facility you have will make a difference in the type and detail level of a maintenance manual. Generally, an HVAC or EMP engineering firm can help with this task.
If you opt to undertake this project on your own, make sure you check with the manufacturers of the equipment you have in your facility. Each piece of equipment will have recommended maintenance and service requirements. These requirements should help you create a baseline of the minimum maintenance schedule recommended for each major component.
Additional resources include:
- 15 O&M Best Practices (pdf)
- Guidelines for Obtaining Best Practice Contracts for Commercial Buildings Operation and Maintenance Service Contracts (pdf)
- Operations & Maintenance Best Practices Guide
These tools should provide assistance in the creation, organization, and relevant material required for your manual.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?