La Quinta Inns and Suites has earned a place in the history books by toppling the current Guinness World Record for the “Largest Human Mattress Domino Drop” during its annual executive conference in November 2011 at the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center.
For the record attempt, 850 mattresses—one for each La Quinta outlet in the U.S.— were arranged in a domino pattern designed by “Domino Wizard” Robert Speca. General managers, executives, and special guests of La Quinta—including Bob Johnson, president and general manager of the convention center—were assigned to each mattress.
The first person fell back onto the mattress, toppling into the next. All 850 participants and mattresses dropped one by one until the final mattress was down, surpassing the previous world record of 550, which was set in
Belgium in April 2011.
A Guinness adjudicator was on-site to verify success and award the World Record certificate to La Quinta.
At the conclusion of the event, La Quinta Inns and Suites and Simmons Bedding Company donated the 850 covered mattresses to homeless services organizations and other charities in the New Orleans area.
The New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center features 1.1 million square feet of contiguous exhibit space. The facility sustained extensive damage when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans in August 2005, but has rebounded since reopening in 2006. Read TFM‘s coverage of that recovery here.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
- Question Of The Week: Water Conservation Tips