La Quinta Inns and Suites has earned a place in the history books by toppling the current Guinness World Record for the “Largest Human Mattress Domino Drop” during its annual executive conference in November 2011 at the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center.
For the record attempt, 850 mattresses—one for each La Quinta outlet in the U.S.— were arranged in a domino pattern designed by “Domino Wizard” Robert Speca. General managers, executives, and special guests of La Quinta—including Bob Johnson, president and general manager of the convention center—were assigned to each mattress.
The first person fell back onto the mattress, toppling into the next. All 850 participants and mattresses dropped one by one until the final mattress was down, surpassing the previous world record of 550, which was set in
Belgium in April 2011.
A Guinness adjudicator was on-site to verify success and award the World Record certificate to La Quinta.
At the conclusion of the event, La Quinta Inns and Suites and Simmons Bedding Company donated the 850 covered mattresses to homeless services organizations and other charities in the New Orleans area.
The New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center features 1.1 million square feet of contiguous exhibit space. The facility sustained extensive damage when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans in August 2005, but has rebounded since reopening in 2006. Read TFM‘s coverage of that recovery here.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management