La Quinta Inns and Suites has earned a place in the history books by toppling the current Guinness World Record for the “Largest Human Mattress Domino Drop” during its annual executive conference in November 2011 at the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center.
For the record attempt, 850 mattresses—one for each La Quinta outlet in the U.S.— were arranged in a domino pattern designed by “Domino Wizard” Robert Speca. General managers, executives, and special guests of La Quinta—including Bob Johnson, president and general manager of the convention center—were assigned to each mattress.
The first person fell back onto the mattress, toppling into the next. All 850 participants and mattresses dropped one by one until the final mattress was down, surpassing the previous world record of 550, which was set in
Belgium in April 2011.
A Guinness adjudicator was on-site to verify success and award the World Record certificate to La Quinta.
At the conclusion of the event, La Quinta Inns and Suites and Simmons Bedding Company donated the 850 covered mattresses to homeless services organizations and other charities in the New Orleans area.
The New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center features 1.1 million square feet of contiguous exhibit space. The facility sustained extensive damage when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans in August 2005, but has rebounded since reopening in 2006. Read TFM‘s coverage of that recovery here.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Cyber Security In Real Estate
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention