FRIDAY FUNNY: All Together Now!
La Quinta Inns and Suites has earned a place in the history books by toppling the current Guinness World Record for the “Largest Human Mattress Domino Drop” during its annual executive conference in November 2011 at the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center.
For the record attempt, 850 mattresses—one for each La Quinta outlet in the U.S.— were arranged in a domino pattern designed by “Domino Wizard” Robert Speca. General managers, executives, and special guests of La Quinta—including Bob Johnson, president and general manager of the convention center—were assigned to each mattress.
The first person fell back onto the mattress, toppling into the next. All 850 participants and mattresses dropped one by one until the final mattress was down, surpassing the previous world record of 550, which was set in
Belgium in April 2011.
A Guinness adjudicator was on-site to verify success and award the World Record certificate to La Quinta.
At the conclusion of the event, La Quinta Inns and Suites and Simmons Bedding Company donated the 850 covered mattresses to homeless services organizations and other charities in the New Orleans area.
The New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center features 1.1 million square feet of contiguous exhibit space. The facility sustained extensive damage when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans in August 2005, but has rebounded since reopening in 2006. Read TFM‘s coverage of that recovery here.
You might like:
- New GSU College of Law Building Encourages Interaction
- Focus On: Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Question Of The Week: Indoor Air Quality Effects?
- Energy Conservation, Student Performance Top Reasons for Improving U.S. Public Schools
- Question of the Week: What Happens During Mold Remediation?
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Grogan & Dove Federal Building Named DBIA Design-Build Project Of The Year
- FM Compliance: Don’t Ignore These Seven Areas
- New Product Flash: UltraDuty GHS Chemical Labels From Avery
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Question of the Week: What Are The Cleaning Benefits of Aqueous Ozone?
- FM Alert: CABA Report Highlights Role of Controls In Zero Net Energy Buildings
- FM Alert: Is Your Facility Ready For Winter Weather?
- Resilient Facilities: Strong And Sustainable
- Did You Miss The “What You Haven’t Heard About LED Upgrades – But Should!” Webinar?